Haig Point Lighthouse
Daufuskie Island, South Carolina
Built in 1873
This lighthouse was originally one of 4 lighthouses built on Daufuskie Island. They were built to guide merchant ships to the prosperous plantations in the area to buy cotton, rice, and sugar. This light, though, was deactivated and sold in 1934. It fell slowly into a state of disrepair until it was purchased by International Paper Corp. in 1984. It has now been totally restored and is listed on Coast Guard maps as a private aid to navigation. Haig Point Lighthouse is privately owned and not opened to visitors but it can be seen from a boat on Calibogue Sound.
By Gail Borgman McGuire ©2006