Sanibel Island , Florida - Built in 1884
As shipping increased along Florida's Gulf Coast, it became important to light up this area.
Parts for the lighthouse were manufactured in New Jersey and shipped to Florida. Only 2 miles
short of the island, the ship struck a shoal and sank. Salvagers were called in from Key West,
and were able to retrieve most of the lighthouse's parts from the sandy sea bottom. The light was
completed in August of 1884 and stands at 100 feet. It remains an active lighthouse to this day.
By Gail Borgman McGuire ©2006