St. Marks Lighthouse
St. Marks, Florida - Built in 1831
The St. Marks Lighthouse stands at 73 feet tall and is visible 20 miles out to sea. This is the second beacon built at this sight, because the first was poorly constructed. In 1931, St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge was established, including the St. Marks Lighthouse.
The refuge is one of the oldest in the National Wildlife Refuge System, and it encompasses 65,000 acres of land. The Lighthouse is also listed in the National Register of Historical Places which will insure its preservation and it remains an active lighthouse today.
By Gail Borgman McGuire ©2008