Sturgeon Point Lighthouse
Built in 1869
Sturgeon Point Lighthouse was built in 1869 to warn mariners of a deadly reef that extends out
from Sturgeon Point. This lighthouse would aid transport into and out of Saginaw Bay with its
classic 3½ order Fresnal lens. Its beam is visible from a distance of 18 miles out to sea. By the
1940's the light was fully automated and it remains an active aid to navigation to this day.
The keepers dwelling is now an excellent maritime museum.
Drawing by Gail Borgman McGuire 2010