Chapel by the Sea
Captiva Island, Florida
The Chapel by the Sea was started a little over 100 years ago as a church. Then it was turned into a schoolhouse in the 1920's to be used by children of farmers who were on the island to grow lime trees.
The farming business was wiped out by a hurricane in the 1920's and the Chapel by the Sea was reverted back to a church. Today it serves as a community church where 400 to 500 people attend each Sunday from November through April. It seats 125 people so most sit on the lawn to hear the service.
By Gail Borgman McGuire ©2006